t

Sunday 19 January 2014

Let's Talk - Bullying and Disabilities

Thumbnail for my Video
 
Hey everyone, this is my first blog post on some actual issues. As some people might know if they check out my YouTube Channel, I do suffer with disabilities myself so it is really easy for me to relate to you if you suffer with disabilities.
The first piece of advice I would give you about disabilities and 'how to cope' is to just accept the fact that you are disabled. I know that it really sucks and can sometimes make you really unhappy but there is nothing you can do to change how you are, you just are how you are. You may also be wondering why accepting the fact that you are disabled matters so much. Well, if you can accept that you are disabled and stop focusing on that and letting it define you, you will be so much happier and it'll help you get the best out of life.
Now, when it comes to bulling and disabilities, there is not much to say that hasn't already been said. My last piece of advice still applies to this and can be helpful. People will bully you about your disabilities to make you feel even worse about your insecurities but if you have accepted that that's how you are and there is nothing you can do to change it and choose not to let it define you, the less this bullying is going to affect you and the easier it will be to ignore it. Remember, being disabled isn't your fault and although its still going to hurt your feelings that people are trying to bring you down and just don't accept you for who you are, there is nothing you can do apart from show them they're not hurting you and if it persists, report them for bullying.
The last piece of advice I will give you is to appreciate the good things in life. appreciate the people that love and accept you for who you are because they're the people that matter. Appreciate all the love and support you receive from your family. Your siblings, your parents, grandparents.
I often get asked that if I could have been born without disabilities would I go back in time and change it. My answer was no.  You may think I'm lying about that but I promise you, it's the truth. When I was younger, I would've said yes without even thinking about it. However, now that I'm older, I'm beginning to see why being disabled is probably the best thing that's ever happened to me. I grew up with and went to school with a lot of superficial and materialistic people and more often than not, they were horrible people. Being disabled has made me different, yes - but it has also made me a more grounded and more compassionate person and I hate to think what I would've been like without it. It has also made me more driven to prove that I can do anything I want to if I believe in myself and I stared to prove that last year when I taught myself to play the guitar and the ukulele. My dream is to become a writer and I am currently in the middle of writing a book with my brother's help. He and I both believe that if I try hard enough, I can probably get published. The other reason I wouldn't give up being disabled is because it means I can hopefully help and inspire a load of people who think that just because they're disabled, they can't achieve their goals in life and can't lead a fairly normal life. Remember, my catchphrase is that anyone can do anything they want and get anything they want out of live if they believe in their dreams - and themselves - enough. I hope this helps you all.
Lara x

No comments :

Post a Comment