t

Tuesday 29 April 2014

Book Review: The Chronicles of Narnia: The Last Battle - C.S Lewis | Lara Pass


The Chronicles of Narnia: The Last Battle
- C.S Lewis
Published by -  Harper Collins Publishers Ltd. 1953
 ***** - 5 Stars
This book... oh my goodness me. I have read a lot of book series in my time and have always found myself disappointed with how it ends. There just always seems to be something missing. Something not right. Something unsatisfactory or unfulfilling about the last book in a series. This book however... is something else entirely.
As you can probably imagine, with my past experience with book series, I was really apprehensive about this book. I was so worried it just wouldn't work but it seems my worries were for nothing.

Clive Staples Lewis - Author
Never in my life have I read a book series and been totally happy with the ending. I've always found it too hard to accept that that is how it was going to end so I would just read the series again and again because I refused to accept that that's how a story that I had invested so much time in, was going to end. However, The Last Battle from The Chronicles of Narnia series lived up to all my expectations and in my eyes, it couldn't have been a better ending.
Of course, I found it sad - just like I do with many book series but I was so delighted with how it ended that I didn't feel I needed to go back and read the whole series again to make up for a shoddy ending. There was nothing over the top about it. Lewis wasn't trying too hard to make it a good ending, he just wrote how he thought it should end and I admire him tremendously for that. It ends the way it should have done. It all made perfect sense and it was beautifully done.
It made me cry (as only a good book can) and I applaud Lewis for just finishing the story off in a perfect way.
I really didn't want the series to end as Narnia is a land I should very much like to live in constantly. The beauty and timelessness of this series will never again be repeated but I am glad in a way. It is what makes this such a special book series. Its what makes a good writer.
I'm thrilled I own these books and I will treasure them forever. So now, I will leave you with the last sentence from this book and say thank you for reading.
'All their life in this world and all their adventures in Narnia had only been the cover and the title page: now at last they were beginning Chapter One of the Great Story which no one on earth has read: which goes on forever: in which ever chapter is better than the one before.'


No comments :

Post a Comment