t

Saturday 7 June 2014

Book Review: The Mortal Instruments City of Ashes – Cassandra Clare | Lara Pass

**** - 4 Stars
The Mortal Instruments City of Ashes is the second book in the Mortal Instruments series and I was pleasantly surprised by it. Usually I get disappointed by book sequels because they're never as good as the first. However, this book did not let me down. I was anxious to know how the story of Jace and Clary was going to progress and it has been really interesting. I feel like I Clare had more confidence when writing this book and was more comfortable with the characters now. The relationships between both Jace and Clary and Clary and Simon, become a bit more complex. The brother-sister relationship between Alec and Isabelle also becomes more prominent in this book which I enjoyed.
Obviously, we get to meet new characters in this book. The rest of the Lightwood family come back from Alicante after the Accords and you get to see Jace's relationship with his adoptive family. What I loved about this book is, unlike the last book, this was not set from just Clary's point of view. You get to see how other characters view the situations and what their feelings are as well as Clary's and I enjoyed that aspect of the book. I constantly read books and get to a part thinking 'it would be great to know what this character is thinking right now, see their point of view' but I have never read a book like it until now. I love the idea and it makes for a more interesting read. Of course, a lot of books work better where it's just from one character's point of view, but this particular series works better when you get to know what multiple characters are feeling. I makes the story more complex and interesting and just makes it more enjoyable to read than the last book.
I gave this 4/5 stars for its originality but it is not quite good enough to get 5/5. Thank you again, Cassandra Clare, for writing a truly brilliant book.

No comments :

Post a Comment